Pratham was founded in 1995, to provide pre-school education to children in Mumbai slums. Over the last 20 years, Pratham has grown to be India’s largest NGO working to provide quality education to underprivileged youth and children in over 21 states and union territories across the country, with a range of interventions.
Pratham is a widely recognized organization, having received notable awards such as the WISE Prize for Innovation, Skoll Award for Social Entrepreneurship, the Henry R Kravis Prize in Leadership and the CNN-IBN Indian of the Year for Public Service. For more details, refer to www.pratham.org
About the International Collaborations team at Pratham
Developed by Pratham, the Teaching at the Right Level (TaRL) approach aims to build foundational skills in mathematics and reading for children in Grades 3-5. Drawing on the success of the TaRL approach in India, governments and non-government organizations (NGOs) across Africa, Asia and Latin America are adapting and implementing TaRL programs. The Pratham International team provides technical support on pedagogy, monitoring and evaluation, and program design and implementation, and advocacy related to TaRL.
In 2019, Pratham and the Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL) entered into a joint venture known as TaRL Africa to provide high-leverage support to governments and partner NGOs across different countries in sub-Saharan Africa to contextualize and scale the TaRL approach.
The team also supports Pratham’s other international efforts and programmes beyond TaRL.
About the role
Right from inception, Pratham has believed in the importance of using data for decision-making. Most of Pratham programmes are large-scale. To effectively use data to guide programmes we need to make sure that data collection is “do-able” and that data can be understood and used by all – right from the central and state leadership to the person conducting educational activities with children in the school/community.
The International Collaborations team at Pratham seeks a Measurement and Monitoring (M&M) Associate to support the design and implementation of measurement and monitoring strategies for our international programmes. The M&M associate will work with partners to coordinate and streamline data collection; analyze data; and establish feedback, review and reporting structures.
This role provides an excellent opportunity for individuals who are motivated to use data to improve the learning outcomes of children globally, especially Africa.
Major roles and responsibilities
1. Support the implementation of Measurement, Monitoring and Review activities for educational programmes
- Understand the programme objectives and support the country teams in designing tools/ processes for data collection, verification, data analysis, and review
- Regularly assess the technical capacity of country M&M teams and conduct training/ workshops on data collection tools, data analysis, visualization, dissemination, and other technical aspects as necessary
- Conduct deep-dive monitoring activities on an ongoing basis to unpack programme processes and outcomes
2. Set up measurement systems for new pilots and innovations: Experimenting with new ideas to account for the contextual variations that we see across different countries is key to Pratham International’s work. The M&M team works closely in collaboration with the programme teams to pilot new pedagogical approaches, innovative mentoring, and data collection systems.
3. Support the building and maintenance of a data website as a one-stop-shop for all data and resources
- Coordinate with partners to collect programme data and keep the platform up to date
- Design new features on the platform and get them developed through technology vendors
- Create programme data dashboards as needed
4. Create resources (documents, videos, etc.) for capacity building, communication, and reporting
Education and Qualifications
- At least a bachelors degree with 2 years of work experience as an analyst or similar positions with an analytical bent
- Ability to think in a structured manner, keeping the big picture in mind
- Excellent data analysis skills. Experience working with data manipulation software, including data collection, analysis & visualization platforms (Required: Excel; Strongly preferred: Tableau, Power BI)
- Excellent communication skills in English, including writing, conversing and presenting
- Self-starter with an attitude to get the job done
- Strong interpersonal skills with cross-cultural teams
- Willingness to travel frequently and flexibly to India, Africa and other developing countries, including in rural and remote areas
- Basic proficiency with French
- Previous experience of building data systems for similar mission-driven organisations
- Familiarity with econometric and program evaluation techniques
Contract type: 1-year full time as a consultant to Pratham USA
Location: New Delhi (remote for now) with frequent (sometimes for more than a month) international travel especially to Africa
1. Send your CV and Cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by 14th April 2021
2. If you are shortlisted, we will call you to discuss the role and answer any questions you may have
3. If you decide to continue with your application, we will send a test that you will be asked to submit within 5 days
4. If you are further shortlisted, there will be two rounds of interview
At every stage, only successful candidates will be contacted.