In the last couple of years, Pratham has reached more than 20 million children across 22 states and UTs through wide-ranging education-focused programs. The Measurement, Monitoring and Evaluation Team (MME), established in 2013, has played an integral role in ensuring that Pratham, its partners in the community and government have analytically and effectively acted upon using data generated from these programs. During unprecedented school closures in the past year, the team swiftly innovated its approach to collect data remotely, thereby continuing to inform program strategy, content, and implementation decisions.
About ASER Centre
ASER Centre generates evidence for action. It focuses on outcomes and processes in education and other social sectors. It builds the capacity of individuals and institutions to measure at scale, understand, communicate and act upon the findings of assessments and research, with the objective of improving the quality of social sector programs. It aims to create a culture where rigorous measurement of outcomes is integral to action, thus bridging the gap between theory and practice, assumption and reality.
One of ASER Centre’s main activities is the design and implementation of the Annual Status of Education Report (ASER) survey. Facilitated by Pratham since 2005, ASER is the largest household survey of children’s schooling and learning in India. Each year the survey is designed and implemented by the Survey Unit. The unit comprises 6-8 research associates based out of Delhi and 2-4 field associates in each state. Each research associate is allocated 3-5 states. He/she is responsible for managing all survey related activities such as material design, piloting, planning, training, implementation, quality control, data collection, data entry, dissemination, etc., in close coordination with field associates in allocated states and peer research associates in Delhi.
- Be a proactive participant in group work with peer research associates based in Delhi
- Be a robust link between state and central teams for managing and coordinating the survey
- Communicate and coordinate with field associates for
Allocated States Before the Survey:
- Design, field pilot, and translate survey and assessment materials and processes
- Conduct secondary research required to finalise the above
- Design, conduct, and manage trainings for field
Associates During the Survey:
- Support field associates in recruitment of partners and survey manpower in districts/states
- Travel extensively to conduct trainings and participate in survey field work in districts/states
- Coordinate and track survey roll-out for allocated states
- Ensure implementation of all quality control processes
- Work with field associates in various capacities for any other survey
Task After the Survey:
- Compile and analyse data for the report
- Prepare report content
- Proofread text and data for final publication of the report
- Ideate data dissemination strategies, prepare material, and participate in events
- Support states other than those allocated for any task (including field travel) on need basis
- Participate in any other research, assessment, survey project of ASER Centre on need basis
- Coordinate and manage participation of field associates in the above and in other programs
Qualifications, Skills and Abilities
Education – Minimum graduate in any field. A background in social work or education will be an advantage.
- Experience and performance in internships will be considered for fresh graduates
- Previous full-time job/work experience is preferred but not essential
- Exposure to research and/or field work in a previous workplace or internship will be an advantage Communication
- Reading, speaking and writing proficiency in English and Hindi is essential
- Proficiency in any other Indian language will be a huge advantage
- Strong written and oral communication skills to correspond with a diverse audience – rural, urban, faculty and students, government officials, partner organisations, donors, etc.
- Working proficiency in MS Office – Word, PowerPoint, Excel
- Experience of data analysis will be an advantage
- Able to work under minimum supervision
- Able to handle work pressure and deliver under tight schedules
- Takes initiative and thinks innovatively
- Respects diversity and is able to work in large and small groups
- Open to rural travel for long and short durations, often at short notice and sometimes independently as well
- Open to living in a rural setting with basic facilities and working with the local population
Employment Type: Full time | Location: New Delhi | Travel: Frequent travel to rural locations in different states across the country | Reports to: Senior Research Associate | Duration: Minimum 2 years’ commitment | Remuneration: CTC 4.2 Lac per annum, negotiable as per experience and qualification | Last Date: 18 December 2021
To apply, please write the job title ‘Research Associate – Survey Unit’ in the subject line and email the following documents to email@example.com:
- Latest CV
- Statement of Purpose (SOP) describing how you make a good fit for this role in up to 800 words. Please give specific examples that align with the job requirements.
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for three subsequent rounds: telephonic/skype interview, written assignments, and final interview.