About the Organisation
ASER Centre is the autonomous research wing of Pratham Education Foundation, founded with the aim of generating evidence at scale; strengthening the link between evidence and action; and strengthening the capacities of individuals and institutions to design, conduct, and understand measurement. ASER Centre designs and implements of the Annual Status of Education Report (ASER) surveys, the largest citizen-led household survey of children’s foundational reading and arithmetic abilities in India. The Centre conducts numerous research and evaluation studies, both independently as well as in collaboration with various national and international partners to explore issues in early childhood education and health, primary and secondary school education, and vocational education among others.
Description of Position
The Research and Statistics Unit of ASER Centre seeks to recruit two Senior Researchers Associates (SRA) (Quantitative Data) for an ongoing project funded by the Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC) of the UK and implemented in collaboration with the REAL Centre, University of Cambridge. In this final year of a multi-year project, the SRs will work under the guidance of the lead research team both in Cambridge and New Delhi to undertake tasks related to quantitative data management, data analysis, and writing up of research findings.
The ideal candidates will have a doctoral degree in Education, Economics, Development Studies, or a related discipline. They will have experience and skills in education research, specifically in statistical analysis (descriptive and inferential) of longitudinal data sets as well as writing up research results for academic and non-academic audiences. They will have a self-starting attitude, the ability to plan, prioritise and execute tasks with minimal supervision. They will be comfortable working both independently as well as part of a group and will welcome a dynamic and diverse organizational environment.
This is a central team position, based in Delhi. However, due to COVID-19, remote working options are currently available.
About the study:
This study is a longitudinal, mixed-methods evaluation on school-community relationships and accountability in one rural district of Uttar Pradesh, India, that aims to investigate the potential of community-school partnerships to improve children’s foundational learning outcomes. Designed as a mixed-method evaluation, the research design combines a Randomized Control Trial (RCT) covering 400 villages with embedded case studies in a small number of locations. Five rounds of data collection with key stakeholders (headteachers and teachers, parents and children), including 3 rounds of assessment of sampled children’s learning outcomes were conducted between 2018 and 2022. The study covered 22,000 children who were in grades 2, 3 and 4 in government primary schools at baseline. More information about the study is available at: https://www.educ.cam.ac.uk/centres/real/researchprojects/ongoing/accountability-in-india/
Broad responsibilities of the SR will include:
• Data management and analysis of large-scale quantitative data sets, including working with data sets generated in five separate data collection rounds.
• Drafting and contributing to academic papers, the final report as well as blogs and other forms of written communication.
• Preparation of the final data which is to be submitted to the UK data archive at the end of the project.
• Doctoral degree in Education, Economics, Development Studies or other relevant discipline that uses quantitative methods.
• Evidence of engagement with academic publications to a high standard
• Experience writing for diverse audiences (including blogs, reports, policy briefs, slide decks for conference presentations, among others)
• Evidence of a strong interest in, and understanding of, education in the context of India.
• Strong proficiency and experience in managing and conducting quantitative analysis. Preferred software is STATA.
• Good interpersonal skills and the ability to liaise with a range of professionals across diverse settings
• the capacity to manage own workload and work independently to tight deadlines within the guidelines provided
• Strong oral and written communication skills in English.
Remuneration and Consultancy
Remuneration for this position will range from INR 90,000-1,20,000 per month, depending on qualifications and experience. TDS of 10% will be deducted as per norms. The position will end in February 2023.
The role will include a fully funded one-month placement at the University of Cambridge, UK, including all associated costs (visa fees, round trip travel, board and lodging).
The closing date for applications is 15 April 2022.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited for 2 rounds of interviews with members of the lead research team in both India and the UK. Selected candidates will be expected to join immediately.
Interested candidates should email the following documents to email@example.com.
• Updated CV, maximum 2 pages (File name: FullName_CV)
• Cover Letter (1000 words): Describe your motivation to apply to ASER Centre, with relevant examples that demonstrate your academic and professional fit for this role. (File name: FullName_CoverLetter)
• Publications: Submit a published academic publication (or a manuscript that you are working towards an academic publication) which demonstrates your written as well as your research skills, particularly in quantitative methods
• In case of any questions, please contact: Purnima Ramanujan (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Due to the volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Organisation : ASER Centre, New Delhi
Division / Department : Research and Statistics
Reports to : Directors
Work schedule : Starting immediately.
This is a full-time, temporary position through 02/2023
Location : New Delhi; work from other locations will be considered
Selection : Rolling (Priority)