Pratham was founded in 1995, to provide preschool education to children in Mumbai slums. Over the last 25 years, Pratham has grown to be one of the largest non-profit organizations working to provide quality education to children and youth in over 20 states and union territories across the country, through a range of interventions.
Pratham is a widely recognized organisation, having received notable awards such as the Lui Che Woo Prize, the WISE Prize for Innovation, the Skoll Award for Social Entrepreneurship, the Henry R Kravis Prize in Leadership and the CNN-IBN Indian of the Year for Public Service. For more details, refer to www.pratham.org.
The position of an Associate in the English Programme offers creative, analytical, and energetic people the opportunity to be an integral part of Pratham’s work across the country. The English Team functions along three simultaneous outlines:
Developing compelling course content and engaging learning activities. Building and reinforcing teachers’ capacities via online and offline training workshops.
Testing content feasibility, tracking field progress and documenting programmes.
The Associate’s key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- CONTENT DEVELOPMENT
- Research and develop effective and engaging content for learners at various proficiency levels who are learning English as an additional language ∙ Employ new ways of integrating various instructional innovations and elementary educational technology into the content.
- Develop content in conformity with the requirements of any programme/region.
- Contemplate inclusive and dynamic training approaches, design modules, and implement training programmes to impart content knowledge and the understanding of gainful instructional strategies and pedagogical practices to teachers.
- RESEARCH AND EVALUATION
- Research and collaborate with educators, subject experts, policymakers, and other professionals to formulate effective and efficient processes that facilitate the understanding and application of engaging, learner-centric, and stimulating pedagogical practices with respect to second language learning and develop quality curricula and learning resources.
- Develop and adapt tools that identify and evaluate learning gaps and learning needs and styles and envisage solutions in view of a project’s/region’s requirements and limitations.
- Scrutinize and appraise the current and past national and international research and trends in the field of second language acquisition and broader educational contexts in India with a focus on determining the most optimal trajectories.
- MONITORING AND DOCUMENTATION
- Make visits to project locations periodically in order to personally gauge classroom issues, assist teachers, and write reports on crucial field categories ∙ Encourage teachers to initiate curricular improvement by providing the required time and resources and by creating structures to foster productive exchanges on curriculum development via extensive field visits for piloting, testing, and implementing content, the posting will impart the Associate with a comprehensive grasp of field issues in India in education in general and teaching English as a second language in particular. The Associate is expected to rapidly develop an understanding of the field and constructively assist in developing, editing, designing, proofreading, formatting, and distributing English content.
Qualifications and Experience
- Graduate degree
- Strong command of oral and written English language
- A discerning eye for creating, editing, and appraising content
- Ability to communicate fluently in Hindi
- Ability to work effectively in teams
- Ability to build rapport with people from different academic, socio-economic, and cultural backgrounds
- 0-2 years of work experience in a similar role in private sector firms, NGOs or foundations
- Strong planning skills and creative intelligence
- Ability to organize and manage multiple tasks efficiently
- Strong interest in the goals of Pratham Associate, English Programme, Pratham Education Foundation
- Willingness to travel regularly and extensively in rural areas of India, with limited amenities
- Willingness to commit to 2-3 years of work with Pratham
- Exposure to the non-profit sector through previous experience or otherwise ∙ Ability to communicate in more than one Indian language
- Work experience in development projects
Send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org (early applicants will be given preference) and mention ‘Application for the position of Associate – Central English Team’ in the subject line:
Application deadline: February 28, 2023
1. Current Resume: The resume should contain
- Contact information for the applicant
- Academic Background
- Universities Attended;
- Degrees Acquired
- Academic Record (Marks or GPA, if applicable)
- Past work experience, highlighting relevant skills
- Relevant Coursework: List courses in Development, Teaching and/or Education
- Languages Spoken
2. Statement of Purpose (500 Words)
- Salary shall be finalized based on the experience and skill set of the candidate. It is negotiable for exceptional candidates.
- Travel, food, and lodging costs for work-related travel outside the base location shall be separately borne or reimbursed on actuals by Pratham.
Please note: Due to a large number of applications we receive, we will only be in contact with the shortlisted candidates.