Pratham was founded in 1995, to provide pre-school education to children in Mumbai slums. Over the last 27 years, Pratham has grown to be one of the largest non-profit organizations working to provide quality education to children and youth in over 20 states and union territories across the country, through a range of interventions.
Pratham is a widely recognized organization, having received notable awards such as the Yidan Prize, Lui Che Woo Prize, WISE Prize for Innovation, Skoll Award for Social Entrepreneurship, the Henry R Kravis Prize in Leadership, and the CNN-IBN Indian of the Year for Public Service. For more details, refer to www.pratham.org.
About the ENABLE Program
The National Education Policy (NEP) 2020 emphasizes the fundamental importance of universal foundational literacy and numeracy (FLN). But, children, especially those with special needs and disabilities, face significant barriers hindering their acquisition of foundational skills. In India, an estimated 7.8 million children and young individuals had disabilities in 2019. Alarmingly, a large proportion of them do not attend educational institutions, and 45% struggle to attain foundational literacy. ENABLE' or 'Equity in Accessing Numeracy And Basic Literacy Education', is a multi-pronged intervention to strengthen the quality of education for 3-9 year olds with disabilities. The 3 key objective of this program is to:
1. Strengthen Government's mainstream service delivery mechanism to ensure foundational learning outcomes for learners with disabilities (LwD)
2. Identify, address and overcome attitudinal barriers and stereotypes towards learners with disabilities in families and communities
3. Facilitate partnership between relevant government departments, civil society, private sector and communities in support for learners with disabilities
We are looking to hire an Associate (Public Policy) to work on systems strengthening and support the project team in promotion and integration of project activities into the mainstream educational, health, disability, and early childhood systems, policy and advocacy dialogues at district, state, and national levels. Additionally, the Associate will support knowledge development, stakeholder engagement, and capacity building.
Key responsibilities :
Support for Systems Strengthening Initiatives
● Support the implementation of local, state, and central government acts, laws, and policies related to inclusive education, through the project activities, while ensuring compliance.
● Conduct and facilitate field activities with various stakeholders, including government bodies, NGOs, community organizations, and disability advocacy groups, to understand the gaps in policies for improving education systems for children with disabilities.
● Establish partnerships with relevant organizations and institutions to leverage resources, expertise, and collective efforts in strengthening education systems.
Knowledge Development and Implementation
● Conduct thorough assessments of the existing education systems, policies, and practices to identify gaps, challenges, and opportunities for strengthening the inclusion of children with disabilities.
● Engage in advocacy efforts to promote policy changes and reforms that advance the cause of inclusive education, and work to raise awareness about the rights and needs of children with disabilities within the education system.
● Support the distribution of relevant resources, materials, and information that promote inclusive education practices among teachers, administrators, and policymakers.
● Collaborate with government bodies and stakeholders to ensure that education policies and regulations are inclusive and supportive of children with disabilities.
Training and Capacity Building
● Organize capacity-building workshops and training sessions for educators, administrators, and other stakeholders to enhance their understanding of inclusive education principles and strategies.
● Collaborate with diverse stakeholders (teachers, administrators, government officials, and others) to understand and address the specific needs of children with disabilities.
● Provide ongoing training and support to school staff in implementing inclusive practices.
Required Skills and Knowledge:
The ability to collaborate with diverse government and non-government stakeholders
The ability to guide and mentor professionals and practitioners.
Capacity to conduct research to advocate for inclusive education
Proficiency in project management to ensure the successful execution of the program.
Ability to write, summarize and document key policy notes
Data Analysis and visualisation
In-depth knowledge of education, health, and early childhood systems in India
An understanding of educational theories and philosophies is crucial.
Knowledge of various research methodologies.
Knowledge of project management principles and practices.
Awareness of Public policy analysis framework
Basic statistical concepts and proficient knowledge on using a data analytical software
Required Qualifications :
● Preferably Master's or Graduation in relevant fields (Education, Policy, Social Sciences) with a minimum 2 to 3 years experience in a relevant profile.
● Willingness to promote innovation and adapt to change.
● Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
● Ability to work collaboratively and independently, with a strong commitment to inclusivity and diversity.
● Willingness to travel.
Working Location: New Delhi.
Please send the following to email@example.com. We will reach out to you to set up the application process. To participate in the process, kindly submit the form available at https://forms.gle/Rnzh52x1cWCeTXxm7.
Your resume should contain :
- Contact information
- Academic background: Universities attended and degrees acquired with academic record (Marks or GPA, if applicable)
- Past work experience, highlighting relevant skills
- Relevant Coursework: List Courses in Development, Management, and Education
- Experiences in development, teaching and/or education (if applicable)
- Interest areas/hobbies
- Languages spoken
Note: Pratham is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive and diverse workforce and consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age or disability. We encourage individuals from underrepresented groups, especially persons with disabilities to apply.