Pratham was founded in 1995, to provide pre-school education to children in Mumbai slums. Over the last 27 years, Pratham has grown to be one of the largest non-profit organizations working to provide quality education to children and youth in over 20 states and union territories across the country, through a range of interventions.
Pratham is a widely recognized organization, having received notable awards such as the Yidan Prize, Lui Che Woo Prize, WISE Prize for Innovation, Skoll Award for Social Entrepreneurship, the Henry R Kravis Prize in Leadership, and the CNN-IBN Indian of the Year for Public Service. For more details, refer to www.pratham.org.
About the ENABLE Program
The National Education Policy (NEP) 2020 while highlighting India’s commitment to achieving SDG Goal 4 of the 2030 Agenda seeks to “ensure inclusive and equitable quality education for all”. It has accorded highest priority to achieving Foundational Literacy and Numeracy (FLN) by all students by Grade 3. The Policy especially recognizes the importance of creating enabling mechanisms for Children with disabilities who were about 5 million in 2019. Alarmingly, a large proportion of these children do not attend educational institutions, and 45% even struggle to attain foundational literacy. Hence many do not reach secondary education and beyond. ENABLE (Equity in Accessing Numeracy and Basic Literacy Education), is a multi-pronged intervention designed to strengthen the FLN for 3-9-year-old children with disabilities. The 3-key objective of this program is to:
1. Strengthen Government's mainstream service delivery mechanism to ensure foundational learning outcomes for learners with disabilities (LwD)
2. Identify, address and overcome attitudinal barriers and stereotypes towards learners with disabilities in families and communities
3. Facilitate partnership between relevant government departments, civil society, private sector and communities in support for learners with disabilities
The Specialist (Inclusive Education Content and Pedagogy) provides strategic leadership and guidance to the project team on inclusive practices. They conduct research, develop inclusive pedagogical approaches, and integrate innovations. This role also offers training and capacity building, requiring expertise in curriculum design, adaptations, research, and project management.
++++ means day to day high frequency tasks which may usually be process oriented
+++ means weekly tasks/milestones that may require a bit of cognitive load
++ means the task have to be accomplished once a month
+ means the task needs attention once per quarter that may require creativity, cognition etc.
1) Leadership and Guidance
● Provide strategic leadership and guidance to the project team on matters of inclusive education content and pedagogy. (+++)
● Provide expertise on local, state, and central government acts, laws, and policies related to inclusive education, and ensure compliance. (+++)
● Guide and mentor project team on inclusive education. (+++)
● Regularly observe classroom activities and provide constructive feedback to teachers on inclusive practices, offering guidance for improvement. (++)
2) Knowledge Development and Implementation
● Conduct regular research, including action research, about best practices in inclusive education. (++++)
● Create pedagogical approaches that allow for differentiated instruction, ensuring individualised support for students in mixed-ability classrooms. (++++)
● Develop packages on inclusive education using the Universal Design for Learning (UDL) principles to create flexible, responsive learning environments for all learners, including those with disabilities. (++++)
● Support the integration of gender, WaSH, assistive technology, etc, into project activities. (+++)
● Promote innovation within project activities. (+++)
3) Training and Capacity Building
● Collaborate with parents and caregivers to understand and address the specific needs of children with disabilities. (++)
● Provide ongoing training and support to school staff in implementing inclusive practices. (++)
● Provide training sessions and workshops to equip teachers with the knowledge and skills needed for effective implementation of inclusive teaching practices. (++)
● Guide teachers in integrating appropriate assistive technologies to support children with disabilities in their learning journey. (++)
Required Skills and Knowledge :
The ability to collaboratively evaluate and design inclusive curriculum for children.
The ability to guide and mentor professionals and practitioners.
Capacity to conduct research and analyses data to develop packages for inclusive education.
Proficiency in project management to ensure the successful execution of the program.
Knowledge of curriculum design principles, adaptations and the ability to work with educators, curriculum developers, and special education experts to create inclusive curricula.
Knowledge about use of technical devices for LwD and skills in computers
A deep understanding of inclusive education. An understanding of educational theories and philosophies is crucial.
Knowledge about service delivery mechanism for inclusive education
Expertise in research methodologies.
Knowledge of project management principles and practices.
Required Qualification & Abilities :
● Preferably Master's or Doctorate in relevant fields (Education, Special Education, Inclusive Education) with a minimum 8+ years experience in a relevant profile.
● Advocacy for inclusive practices
● Publications in inclusive education
● Willingness to promote innovation and adapt to change.
● Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
● Ability to work collaboratively and independently, with a strong commitment to inclusivity and diversity.
● Willingness to travel.
Working Location: Mumbai, Maharashtra
Please send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will reach out to you to set up the application process. To participate in the process, kindly submit the form available at https://forms.gle/Rnzh52x1cWCeTXxm7.
Your resume should contain –
● Contact information
● Academic background: Universities attended and degrees acquired with academic record (Marks or GPA, if applicable)
● Past work experience, highlighting relevant skills
● Relevant Coursework: List Courses in Development, Management, and Education
● Experiences in development, teaching and/or education (if applicable)
● Interest areas/hobbies
● Languages spoken
Note: Pratham is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive and diverse workforce and consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age or disability. We encourage individuals from underrepresented groups, especially persons with disabilities to apply.