Pratham was founded in 1995, to provide pre-school education to children in Mumbai slums. Over the last 20 years, Pratham has grown to be India’s largest NGO working to provide quality education to underprivileged youth and children in over 20 states across the country, with a range of interventions.
Pratham is a widely recognized organization, having received notable awards such as the WISE Prize for Innovation, the Skoll Award for Social Entrepreneurship, the Henry R Kravis Prize in Leadership, the CNN IBN Indian of the Year for Public Service, and the Yidan Prize for Education. For more details, refer to www.pratham.org
About the Early Years team
Pratham Early Years team has decades of experience working with community partners and state governments to develop and deliver solutions targeting holistic development of children of age group 3 to 8 (i.e., children across preschool and grades 1-2). In the past few years, Pratham has also started working in the birth to 3 age group. Solutions include designing curriculum and material, training government and community resource groups, supporting on-site monitoring, providing measurement support and, most importantly, assisting state governments with evidence-based decision making for policy and practices. A key aspect of Pratham’s early years programs is mother and community engagement, which is done through the formation of mothers’ groups and weekly engagement with them thereafter, periodic school readiness melas, and upskilling for community volunteers.
Overview of Position
Pratham has developed a large repository of content – both digital and non-digital – which is routinely used in its early years programs. The content is created centrally – usually in Hindi. Given that Pratham’s programs span 20+ states requiring content in 12 languages, there is a continuous need to translate material into all languages.
The Content Translator, Early Years will be in charge of ensuring timely availability of content to all regional program teams for seamless implementation of programs.
We are looking for translators for the following regional languages: Gujarati, Punjabi, Bengali, Assamese, Marathi, Telugu, Kannada, and Tamil
Roles & Responsibilities
- Translating content used in Pratham programs – WhatsApp/SMS messages, content for idea cards, videos, games etc – from Hindi / English to respective regional language
- Translating content in key internal documents (for trainings, workshops etc) from Hindi / English to respective regional language
- Reviewing translation of written texts and scripts of Pratham’s digital content from Hindi / English to respective regional language
Desired Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in any field, Honors degree in the regional language preferred
- At least 2 years’ experience in doing translation work
- Interest in content development and translation especially for early childhood education and development
- Oral and written fluency in Hindi, and the respective regional language
- Technical know-how in working with PPTs and videos