Pratham was founded in 1995, to provide pre-school education to children in Mumbai slums. Over the last 20 years Pratham has grown to be India’s largest NGO working to provide quality education to underprivileged youth and children in over 20 states across the country, with a range of interventions.
Pratham is a widely recognized organization, having received notable awards such as the WISE Prize for Innovation, Skoll Award for Social Entrepreneurship, the Henry R Kravis Prize in Leadership, the CNN IBN Indian of the Year for Public Service, and the Yidan Prize for Education. For more details, refer to www.pratham.org
Right from inception, Pratham has been very proactive on using data to make decisions. Our own ability to measure, assess and evaluate has grown over time. At the same time, we have invited collaborations with researchers so that rigorous methods can be used to understand the effectiveness of our programs. Our two-decade long relationship with MIT’s Abdul Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL) is testament to this commitment. Most of Pratham programs are large-scale programs. To effectively use data to guide programs we need to make sure that data collection is “do-able” and that data can be understood by all.
Hence, the Measurement, Monitoring, and Evaluation (MME) team at Pratham was established in 2013 to coordinate, standardize and streamline data collection, analyze data and establish reporting structures for Pratham's flagship “Read India” program. A major objective of the team was to support data and evidence-based decision making at all levels of the organization – from the instructor in the field to the leadership at state or national level. Since then, the team has grown substantially in size but moreover in scope and now are integrally involved in most programs in 22 states which fall within Pratham's education portfolio.
We are looking for a self-driven State MME Associate to strengthen and manage our measurement and monitoring processes in Bihar.
The primary set of roles and responsibilities of a State MME Associate have been detailed below:
- Assisting with creation of Right Data Collection, Data Management, Dissemination, Monitoring & Feedback systems for the program.
- Plan and train the Implementation team on formats and other data collection tools like Android apps and online & offline data entry systems.
- Field visits to monitor the program implementation process and to support the field team in implementation.
- Giving proactive real time feedback to the implementation team on various program and data collection issues based on regular monitoring of processes of the program.
- Ensure accurate and timely data collection.
- Ensure accurate and timely data entry and verification.
- Assisting with the analysis and reporting of the data collected.
- Understand data and disseminate the same to the state and central teams.
- Capability Building of State team members to make data driven decisions
- Support on various internal pilots/ survey and evaluations across geographies
Qualification and skills required
While a State MME Associate will undergo multiple rounds of capacity-building exercises at Pratham and MME, it is important for the candidates to have the skills mentioned below:
- Should be interested in the social sector, willing to take the initiative and drive a program forward with data-based evidence.
- Bachelor Degree in any relevant discipline (but any outstanding candidate who does not have the adequate qualifications can also be considered).
- At least 2 years of field experience in Pratham or ASER but freshers having adequate knowledge and skill will be considered.
- Comfortable with MS-Office- Word, Excel and Powerpoint; especially strong in MS- Excel and spreadsheet.
- Good Communication skills- written and oral.
- Strong analytical skill and ability to share qualitative feedback.
- Planning and time management.
- Willingness to travel to different locations.
- Willingness to interact with different stakeholders in a program and give feedback to them accordingly.
- Fluency in written and spoken language, either English or Hindi/region. Command over the regional language will be beneficial.
More about the benefits
Over the past we have seen that work in the MME team usually pushes the associates to enhance their excel, communication, presentation, and evaluation skills which helps them personally and professionally going ahead.
The selection process, including written tests, will be followed with interested candidates at the state level.
If you are interested in this opportunity, please email us your CV at email@example.com and mention ‘Application for the position of ‘State MME Associate, Bihar’ in the subject line by 30 September 2023.